Lifeguard - Jewish Community CenterJob #100 Category: JCC
The safety and well-being of all persons using the pool is the primary concern and responsibility of the lifeguard position. This is accomplished through the proper enforcement of all the Jewish Community Center policies, procedures, and rules regarding pool use. Optimally, by doing this, being alert, and being prepared to act in an emergency at all times, accidents will be prevented.
PRIMARY DUTIES (ON THE STAND):
- Wear required uniform while on duty: lifeguard shirt, bathing suit and/or shorts, whistle, tube and fanny pack containing pocket mask, gloves and other first aid items, other items as instructed by the aquatics supervisor.
- Actively scan and maintain constant vigilance over aquatic area.
- Know and understand all aquatic policies and procedures, including the emergency action plan.
- Ensure the safety and protect the lives of each patron in the aquatic area at all times by enforcing all rules, policies and procedures.
- Be alert, diligent, and conscientious at all times.
- Display a professional, courteous, and tactful demeanor at all times. Always strive to display a positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Continuously exhibit honesty, caring, respect, responsibility, reliability, flexibility, maturity, and good decision-making skills.
- Maintain harmonious rapport with staff, volunteers, members, and the general public at all times.
SECONDARY DUTIES (OFF THE STAND):
- These are duties that can be completed while working a shift with adequate pool coverage or while you are off the stand.
- Always report to duty on time and work all scheduled shifts. Find a qualified substitute and obtain approval from the immediate supervisor in the event that missing a scheduled shift is unavoidable.
- Attend and actively participate in all required aquatic staff training and meetings.
- Maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the pool and surrounding areas by completing chemical tests of the pool and other duties as requested.
- Accurately complete and submit all safety and maintenance records concerning the pool area and usage of the pool as outlined in the Lifeguard Manual.
- Inspect and maintain all emergency equipment (Shepherd's Crooks, ring buoys, rescue tubes, etc.) and other pool equipment and inform the aquatics supervisor and/or Properties Director immediately of any necessary equipment repairs.
- Initiate communications with the Aquatics Coordinator as necessary concerning program problems, personnel conflicts, and member concerns.
- Complete all additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
The ideal candidate is a strong communicator with attention to detail and the ability to work well as part of a team. Must hold and maintain American Red Cross lifeguarding certifications (JCC is willing to certify candidate). Candidate should have the ability to physically perform all necessary rescue skills as well as performing work which involves frequent lifting, pushing, and pulling of heavy objects. Must be willing to work indoors and outdoors as necessary and sit for extended periods of time while remaining alert.
Please send resume to:
Youngstown Area Jewish federation c/o Human Resources
505 Gypsy Lane
Youngstown, OH 44504